(Thursday) 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Wyndham University Center Pittsburgh
100 Lytton Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Distinctions: A Focus on Disordered Gambling Among Specific Populations will focus on: Military culture, as it relates to working with clients outside of the general population Prevalence of problematic gambling among active military
Distinctions: A Focus on Disordered Gambling Among Specific Populations
will focus on:
- Military culture, as it relates to working with clients outside of the general population
- Prevalence of problematic gambling among active military personnel and veterans
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and its prevalence among disordered gamblers
- Motivational interviewing as a treatment modality to help those impacted by problem gambling
Amy E. Bixler, Psy.D.
Veterans Health Administration—Ann Arbor, MI
Supervisory Psychologist and Program Manager of Mental Health Services—Toledo CBOS
Glenn Osowski, NCGC-II
Vocational Development and Transitional Work Experience Therapy Counselor
HealthCare for Homeless Veterans Team—Veterans Administration Healthcare System Ann Arbor, MI
|8:00-8:30||Registration & Breakfast|
|8:30-8:45||Welcome & Opening Remarks|
|8:45-10:00||Glenn Osowski, NCGC-II
Understanding Military Culture
|10:15-11:45||Glenn Osowski, NCGC-II
Disordered Gambling in Military and Veteran Populations
|12:30–2:00||Amy E. Bixler, Psy.D.
Understanding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Problem Gambling
|2:15-3:00||Amy E. Bixler, Psy.D.
Treating Problem Gambling & PTSD Patients: Evidence Based Practices
|3:00-4:00||Amy E. Bixler, Psy.D. & Glenn Osowski, NCGC-II
Motivational Interviewing in the Treatment of Problem Gambling
At the conclusion of the program, participants should be able to:
- Discuss significant & subtle differences between military branches and the general population
- Identify resources to assist populations whose lives been impacted by gambling related issues
- Discuss Motivational Interviewing as it relates to working with problem gamblers
- Consider ways to creatively develop programs for current and past members of the military
- The Council on Compulsive Gambling of Pennsylvania, Inc.
- The Pennsylvania Lottery
- Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board
- Our Gaming Partners
- Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs
- University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work
- Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
This program is offered for 6.0 hours of social work continuing education through co-sponsorship of the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Social Work, a Council on Social Work Education-accredited school and, therefore, a PA pre-approved provider of social continuing education. These credit hours satisfy requirements for LSW/LCSW, LPC and LMFT biennial license renewal. For information on social work continuing education call (412) 624-3711.
$10 fee for Continuing Education Credit for Social Work
(Approved by University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work)
This program is co-sponsored by Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic and The Council on Compulsive Gambling of Pennsylvania, Inc. Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic is approved by the American Psychological Association to offer continuing education for psychologists. Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic maintains responsibility for this program and its content. This program is being offered for 6.0 continuing education credits.
$30 fee for Continuing Education Credit for Psychology
(Approved by Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic)
National Gambling Credits
All attendees will receive National Gambling Credits at no additional charge.
A discounted block of rooms have been reserved. Please contact the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center at 412-682-6200 to make arrangements.
Limited exhibit space will be made available. Please contact Josh Ercole at 267-968-5053 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
A limited number of scholarships have been made available by the Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs – for more information, or to apply, please contact Lisa Schmidt, Program Administrator, at (717) 736-7459, or email@example.com
To register, select your registration type and click the “Buy Now” button. If you are purchasing CEUs, please provide your first and last name for the credits.
Print option: you may also print and send in this Registration Form (PDF).